It isn’t uncommon for homeowners to want to save money on home repairs, especially when they involve their home’s plumbing system. However, attempting to do your own repairs can result in a disastrous mess and even structural damage to your home. It is then that you will finally cave in and call an emergency plumber for help. In order to avoid all the potential dangers of DIY plumbing projects, including flooding, water damage, and even injury to yourself or others, it is always a good idea to call an emergency plumber before you attempt to repair anything yourself. Whether you are dealing with an overflowing toilet, a broken fixture, or a burst pipe, you will save more money calling an emergency plumber than trying to fix things on your own. In this article, we will cover the situations in which calling an emergency plumber is the best solution for the problem at hand, and why you should never attempt DIY plumbing projects unless you have formal training. Let’s take a look.
When to Make the Call
There are several potentially dangerous situations that warrant the attention of an emergency plumber as soon as possible. In most cases, these issues should not wait until regular business hours because they can put your family and property in danger. Some of these cases are:
- Burst pipes – When a pipe in your home bursts, the risk for flooding and water damage to its structure multiplies exponentially with each passing minute. When this happens, you should turn off your water main immediately and call for help. Shutting off your home’s water supply and waiting to call a regular plumber could leave you without running water in your home for days until you can fit in. An emergency plumber will get to your home as fast as possible and will have your water running normally soon after, resulting in less damage to your property and preventing any additional expenses you could incur by having to find a hotel to stay at.
- There are water stains and signs of sagging on your ceiling – This is an extremely dangerous situation that could lead to the complete collapse of your roof or ceiling. It is an indication of a hazardous leak above your head. It is the perfect reason to call in an emergency plumber to repair it before your entire family finds itself trapped under the debris. It is especially dangerous if the stains and sagging are happening in the vicinity of a light fixture because it could mean your home’s electrical system is flooded, and everybody knows that water and electricity are a very dangerous mix.
- Your home has lost water pressure – Low water pressure could be a sign of damaged pipes. This could lead to more serious consequences if left unattended for too long. This is especially true when the problem is present in more than one fixture, so call an emergency professional right away.
- Any plumbing problem outside business hours – Whether you are dealing with and overflowing toilet, a clogged drain, a malfunctioning water heater, or a backed-up sewer, if the problem appears after business hours, during a holiday weekend, or at any other point in time, giving an emergency professional a call will ensure the issue is repaired quickly and without too much of an annoyance to your family.
- When you can’t take the time off from work – The great part of being able to call an emergency plumbing professional is that you won’t have to lose wages or an entire day waiting for a regular plumber to show up. An emergency service will show up at a time which it is most convenient for you, so you can continue your regular activities and take care of the problem at your leisure.
Why You Shouldn’t Attempt to Repair the Problem Yourself
While it may seem tempting to try to save money by performing any plumbing work on your home by yourself, the truth of the matter is that in the long run, you may end up paying way more than what you thought you were able to save. There are many powerful reasons for this. For starters, unless you are trained as a plumber yourself, being able to use a wrench is not exactly the most compelling argument for making any repairs on your own. Additionally, plumbing work requires knowing a variety of safety precautions and working within the local codes and regulations. Not doing this could result in being fined. To make matters worse, you could end up getting hurt or injuring one of your family members while you are attempting to repair your home’s plumbing issue. This will result in unplanned and unwanted medical bills. Lastly, if you make any mistakes as you go along, even if your repairs hold for a short time, they will eventually lead to having to call in a professional plumber, and by then, the price you end up paying will be much higher. This doesn’t even consider any potential damages to your home and your belongings, which is why it is always best to save yourself the headache and the costly repairs and get the help of an emergency plumbing expert as soon as you notice something is wrong. A professional plumber will always have the training, experience, and knowledge to handle any plumbing problem with ease, so put your wrench aside, turn off the tutorial you found online, and give the pros a call.
Whether you have tried and failed a DIY plumbing project, or you are standing in water that is flooding your home, calling Peach Plumbing & Drain will always result in getting an experienced, licensed, and reputable emergency plumber to help you get the problem fixed. So, don’t hesitate, whenever you are faced with a plumbing emergency, just put that wrench down, shut off your water main, and call an emergency plumber from Peach Plumbing & Drain right away!
See our most recent blog on this topic here.