Photo By PeopleImages at istock
Water heaters have become a fundamental appliance in any household. They are used many times a day and are on constantly. They are normally exceptionally reliable pieces of equipment so much so that we tend to take them for granted.
But without proper and regular maintenance they can break down and require an expensive water heater repair. We all lead busy lives, and it is not always easy to find a company to do a water heater repair when you have an emergency.
You have not got time to ring around to find somebody to help, and it is just as well that you have Peach Plumbing and Drain to rely on. Our highly skilled team has many years of experience dealing with water heater repair, maintenance, and installation.
If you do not believe us, then read one of the 5-star reviews from our many satisfied customers. Remember that no water heater repair is beyond us, and unlike many of our rivals, we are on call to answer emergencies 24 hours a day, on weekends and holidays.
The Main Types of Water Heaters
- Conventional or Tank Water Heater – these are the most common kind of water heater and consist of a single, large, tank holding between 20 to 80 gallons. The tank is always kept heated so that there is a large volume of hot water accessible all the time.
- Tankless Water Heater – these are smaller and more compact as they do away with the need for a large external tank. They produce hot water on demand and are more energy-efficient, not having to keep a large tank of water heated all the time.
- Hybrid Tankless Water Heater – this type contains a small tank within the unit that is always heated to provide an instant supply of hot water. This is ideal if you use hot water in small amounts, like washing your hands a lot during the day.
- Heat Pump Hybrid Water Heaters – these units are very eco-friendly and use a compressor to draw heat from the surrounding air and use it to heat the water.
Each of these types offers different advantages and disadvantages. A tank water heater is usually cheaper to buy and install but has higher running costs as the tank needs to be constantly heated. Initially, a tankless heater is more expensive to buy and install and will need expensive air vents if it is gas-powered. But they are more energy-efficient and will save you money in the long term.
Common Problems with Water Heaters
Water heaters do occasionally break down. If you need a water heater repair, then call Peach Plumbing for a swift repair. There are several problems that all water heaters experience:
- Overloading your Water Heater – you probably have not changed your water heater since you moved into your home, but you probably have added extra water appliances like a washing machine and dishwasher.
- You may have had children and so more people are needing showers and baths. Having too many appliances on at the same time will overload your water heater and it may shut down as it is unable to cope with the extra demand.
- It may be a good idea to upgrade your heater because if it shuts down too often it will need continual water heater repair.
- Your Air Vents are Dirty – if your heater is gas-powered, it will need air vents. These will enable plenty of fresh air to enter the chamber and allow combustion to take place. A vent is also needed to allow dangerous combustion gases like carbon monoxide to escape to the outside. Dirt will accumulate in the vents over time and restrict the flow of air, so they need to be cleaned regularly and the entrances kept clear from obstructions.
- Scale Forming on the Working Parts – in areas with hard water there is a high mineral content in the water. This will form insoluble deposits of scale on the working parts in your heater.
- If your water heater is powered by electricity, this can be a serious problem. Scale can form on the heating element so reducing the efficiency of the heater.
- If you can hear a hissing sound coming from your heater this is almost certainly the cause. Peach plumbing suggests that you have your system regularly descaled. This will reduce the likelihood that you will need a water heater repair or even a complete replacement of the unit.
- Leaks around your Heater – if there are pools of water around your heater there could be a loose connection that needs tightening. There could also be a faulty valve in the unit or in the case of the tank water heater, the tank itself could be corroded and leaking.
- Electrical Problems – If you use electricity to power your unit a simple blown fuse will stop the heater. A simple resetting of the circuit breaker will solve this.
- There are many electrical components in a water heater, if they overheat, they could give off a burning smell. You do not want to risk an electrical fire, and you need to call us straight away.
Regular Maintenance will Save you from an Expensive Water Heater Repair
Regardless of the type of water heater that you have, Peach Plumbing advises you to have it regularly serviced. This will ensure its safe running and it is as energy efficient as possible. This will not only save you on energy bills but will give you peace of mind.
It has been worked out that the average cost of a water heater repair is a serious blow to your finances. A regular service will pick up on any minor issue and save you from that astronomical repair bill.
Why Choose Peach Plumbing & Drain of Brookhaven, GA
Peach Plumbing and Drain is a family-owned business and takes huge pride in delivering a great quality plumbing service to our local community around Brookhaven, GA. Having a water heater break down is a stressful experience and we want to help by sending one of our highly trained plumbers around to you ASAP.
If you have any plumbing emergency, then call Peach Plumbing & Drain. We are ready to act 24/7.